Thursday, February 12, 2015

Here we go!




Hello and welcome!

This blog will be an experiment in many ways. Growing up with Dutch books, I never realised how much they discuss food. Or rather, include food. Through a combined history of farming traditions and a blooming spice trade, the Dutch think of food in a very practical, but very flavourful way. It is regarded as sustenance, as fuel, the basis of life, but is acknowledged as being an indulgence at times as well. An abundance of salt, sugar and spices is key in Dutch cuisine. This is reflected in our literature, where food is often a foundation for scenes, if not entire novels.

Children's books in particular include the mention, consumption, and experience of food. This is why, besides cookbooks and novels, I would like to focus on the books I used to read, or have had read to me as a child.
I have always found that looking back on one's childhood can be confusing, and I have often felt betrayed by my own memories. Part of me hopes that looking back with food as a specific focus will help, but part of me also worries that the fond memories might crumble under the analytic way I will need to look at these books. The remaining part of me is just really excited to be able to devote an entire blog to some of the things I love most: Dutch food, children's books, and the way foreigners perceive Dutch culture. Let's say these parts are divided 30/30/40.

When looking through everything, I will be keeping these questions in mind:

- How is the subject of food treated in Dutch children's books?
- How is it treated in Dutch literary work?
- What difference is there between food aimed at children and adults?
- How is Dutch food portrayed in foreign literature, if at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment